The MPS in Dairy Products Technology program prepares students for managerial and supervisory roles in the dairy foods manufacturing industry. This one-year program includes training in applications of dairy ingredients, plant operations, manufacturing processes, dairy chemistry, dairy microbiology, sensory evaluation, and other areas critical to the dairy processing sector. In addition, the program emphasizes leadership training through special study and group/team collaboration.
Program Learning Objectives
Students who successfully complete the twelve-month curriculum and graduate with the degree of Master of Professional Studies in Dairy Products Technology:
- Have obtained mastery of the technical foundation knowledge necessary to enter a management role in large-scale global dairy foods manufacturing organizations, including:
- Chemistry, biochemistry and the chemical changes that occur in dairy foods induced by processing
- Analytical chemistry and instrumentation
- Microbiology and its roles in both food processing and food safety
- Dairy foods ingredient functionality
- Food safety, quality assurance and control
- Sanitary design and cleaning
- Raw materials receiving and control
- Food laws and regulations
- Food sensory evaluation and process quality
- Unit operations in dairy food processing
- Can employ leadership principles and recognize leadership's role in management.
- Are able to use critical thinking and analytical skills to solve problems, evaluate alternatives and predict outcomes in a large dairy food production environment.
- Have developed a strong awareness of the dairy foods industry's place in society and can apply that awareness to formulate plans that benefit their company and society.